Types of Visas

Which Visa

The Immigration process can be challenging and have disappointing, costly outcomes for those who are inexperienced. We provide a boutique, individualised process to enable a recommendation to increase your chances of success in applying for a visa or permit to study, visit, work or live in New Zealand.

We have to deal with the individual facts of each case and effect a solution within the instruction boundaries under which NZ Immigration operates.

Our full assessment form is often the pathway starting point.  Please contact us to enquire as to how we can help you.

Here is a brief guide of some visa options if you are wishing to visit, work or become resident in New Zealand. Please talk to us as there may be other categories than those listed here and other requirements. This is intended as a brief outline only and you would need to discuss with a Licensed Adviser to see if you qualify.

Regardless of whether you require a visa or not to come to New Zealand, you will also need to meet health requirements and character requirements, before you will be allowed entry to New Zealand. Discuss with us, without obligation if you will meet these requirements.



Temporary Entry - Working

Work Visa for Skilled Migrants and their partners.

This is the most popular application for our clients to start their journey. Immigration will grant temporary work visas to people who have a job offer from a New Zealand employer for people skilled in occupations that are in demand here, your spouse/partner is also eligible for a work visa for the same period of the skilled applicant.

Work Visas are also granted to people coming here for a particular purpose or event, and people who want to gain work experience or work after studying in New Zealand.

Working Holiday

If you're aged between 18 and 30 years you may be eligible to experience life in New Zealand on a working holiday.

Studying - Student Visa

Children of people on a work visa are eligible to apply for a student visa to attend primary, intermediate or secondary school.

People who wish to study for a tertiary qualification may gain a student visa either for the period of study they have paid for or for the length of course. Check with us for details.

Visiting - Visitor Visa

You must be considered to be a genuine visitor, before you will be allowed entry to New Zealand. If you are not from a country on the visa free list, you will need to apply for a visa to come to New Zealand. If you are from a country on the visa free list subject to meeting requirements you will be granted a Visitor Visa on arrival. Ask us if you are from a country on the visa free list.

If you are in New Zealand and wish to extend your stay you may qualify for an extension of your Visitor Visa.

Family Temporary Entry

If you intend to stay temporarily with your family member who is a New Zealand citizen or resident you may choose to:
Visit New Zealand under one of the following categories:

- Partners of New Zealand residents and/or citizens
- Culturally arranged marriage
- Dependent children of New Zealand residents and/or citizens
- Parent or grandparent multiple entry visa
- Work in New Zealand under partners of New Zealand Residents and/or citizens category.

Resident Visa

There are several categories

Skilled Migrant (SMC)

If you are between 22 & 55 and hold qualification(s) and/or have experience and/or have a job offer in New Zealand we can calculate your points and advise if you qualify. Processing is generally 9 to 12 months.


Parents: People who have children settled in New Zealand and have had residence for at least 3 years and can sponsor them may qualify to gain residence.

This is a capped category and applications usually exceed the annual cap. Application usually takes up to 2 years to process.

Partners: If you are the husband, wife, defacto or civil union partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident and you can show you live in a genuine, stable relationship and have resided together for 12 months or more you may gain residence. If your relationship is stable and genuine but you do not yet qualify to apply for residence you may qualify for a work visa in order for you to remain together until you meet the requirements. Processing time can take from a few months to a year depending on the verifications which need to be made and branch handling your application.

Dependent Child: Child of a New Zealand resident. You and your parent(s) may wish to be reunited in New Zealand. Your parent(s) may have already settled here and now, you'd like to come to New Zealand to live with them. You will need to be dependent and not married or have a partner.

If you are a child and wish to move to New Zealand to live with your parent(s), you will need to apply for residence in New Zealand. Your parent must be a New Zealand citizen or resident and be living in New Zealand. If your parent(s) are not residents or citizens but are living here on a work visa or student visa you may still qualify for a visa to join them.

Investing and doing business in New Zealand

New Zealand's business migration categories are designed to contribute to economic growth, attracting investments and business expertise to New Zealand, and enabling experienced business people to buy or establish businesses in New Zealand under the new Entrepreneur Work Visa, effective March 2014.

Entrepreneur Work Visa

Main requirements (effective March 2014)

Aimed at experienced business people who can grow or establish a high growth and innovative business with export potential.

  • Minimum $100,000 capital investment, excluding working capital
  • At least 120 points on points scale for: business experience, employment creation, export potential, unique or new products or services to New Zealand, capital investment, age, possible bonus points in one of two categories
  • Credible business plan specific to the proposed business

Please discuss your options with us.

Temporary Retirement Visitor Visa

Temporary Retirement visitor visa valid for up to two years for principal applicants aged 66 and over with comprehensive travel insurance and substantial investment funds.

Employees of a relocating business

This is to facilitate the granting of residence to employees of businesses relocating to New Zealand, who do not qualify for residence under any existing categories.

Capital Immigration Services

Auckland Office:

Level 8, West Plaza Busines Centre
3 Albert St
Auckland CBD
New Zealand

David Fisher 027 4988122


Wellington Office:

Level 4, 326 Lambton Quay
Wellington Central
Wellington 6011
New Zealand

Peter Ryan 021 2820222

Freephone: 0800 333 073

Email: advice@cisnz.co.nz

Peter Ryan of Capital Immigration Services is a licensed Immigration Adviser

Peter G. Ryan
Licence Number 201300606
David H. Fisher
Licence Number 201600250
Caroline A. Ryan
Licence Number 201600706


This page was last modified on: 05 Aug 2014 15:47:40

© copyright 2014 - 2020 Capital Immigration Services
Auckland | Wellington | Christchurch
website by frogwebworks